Candle Care & Safety
Scented candles are a beautiful way to add fragrance, ambiance and beauty to your home but you need to make sure you follow some Safety Guidelines before enjoying your candle.
- Never leave a candle unsupervised. Choose where you burn your candle carefully keeping the flame away from drafts, direct sunlight, curtains, papers and other flammable items around the home.
- Keep burning candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Protect your furnishings from the heat and ensure they are placed on a flat, heat resistant surface. Never move a lit candle as the container can become very hot.
- Always keep your candle wick trimmed to approx. 5mm and remove any mushrooming once the wick has cooled. Don’t let any wick trimmings fall into the candle as this can pose as a fire hazard and affect the scent of your candle.
- Remove all packaging before lighting your candle.
- Always read the safety instructions provided.
- Do not burn for more than 4 hours at a time.
- Stop burning your candle when there is approx 5mm of wax left at the bottom as burning all the way to the end can cause the glass to overheat, which may result in it cracking or exploding.
By following a few simple care instructions before, during and after burning, you can maximise your candle’s life and fragrance throw.
Always store your candles in a cool, dark and dry place. Although candles are designed to be melted, excessive heat and sunlight can cause the wax to sweat. This is evident by beads that form on the surface of the candle. As the wax sweats, the scent of the candle can be affected. A candle that is not stored correctly can also have a reduced fragrance throw.
Lighting Your Candle
Before lighting your candle, trim the candle wick to approximately 5mm and place on a heat resistant surface (or the candle lid if it’s suitable).
The first time you use your new candle, burn for at least 2-3 hours, allowing the wax to burn evenly across the surface. Scented candles develop a ‘burn memory’ and a candle that has not been burnt right to the edges on its initial use, may ‘tunnel’ and burn unevenly through the centre of the wax.
Maximising Your Burn Time
For maximum burn time, always keep candle wicks trimmed to approximately 5mm. Not only will trimming the wick help your candle to burn evenly, but it will also eliminate smoking and soot forming on the glass. However, a small amount of soot around the edges of the container glass may occur in rare circumstances, if this should happen simply wipe with a wet cloth while the glass is still warm.
Ensure you position your candle away from drafts as this can result in an uneven burn and will reduce the life of your candle.
Always burn your candle for at least 2 hours at a time, but never burn a scented candle for more than 4 hours. After 4 hours, extinguish the flame and allow to cool. Once the candle has cooled, trim wick to approximately 5mm and remove any ‘mushrooming’ and it may be relit again.
Keep your candle lid on inbetween burning to keep it free from debris.